It appears that United States soldiers inadvertently burned some copies of the Quran. No one suggests it was malicious. President Obama apologized for the mishap to the Muslim community. Enter politics.
Three of the Republican candidates, who claim to be Christians and believe the Bible, condemned the President for apologizing. They say you do not apologize for a mistake, and anyway what about the acts of violence perpetrated upon Americans. This illustrates with observable clarity the vicious hypocrisy that grows in the fertile but fallen ground of American politics.
If you accidentally and inadvertently step on someone’s toe, do you apologize? Of course. And has anyone heard of the golden rule? If I’m not mistaken it’s in the Bible. So let me get this straight. The dictates of the Scriptures, and the moral conduct of Christians, can be altered when our enemies act in a way inconsistent with what Jesus taught? Our faith is now reactionary and dependant upon the actions of others?
Let us burn the Bible and start all over since it means nothing anymore. And this new Bible should have as its template the Constitution of the United States. And in this new edition of the Bible, Jesus could give us an update.
“Dear brothers and sisters,
After reviewing some of the things I said in my last book, I realize now they were way too difficult and completely unrealistic. Having proof read some of my previous comments, let me present you with some updates that are much more pragmatic and culturally acceptable:”
* Hate and kill your enemy.
* Worry about the economy.
* Be overtly proud about where you were born.
* Reject humility since it suggests weakness.
* Yield your allegiance to Jesus and your denomination and your country and even your political party.
* Go ye into all the world and spread the gospel and democracy.
* When you are persecuted squeal very loudly.
* Watch and pray and legislate.
* Blessed are the politically active.
* If someone smites you on your cheek, go to war.
* Feed the poor sparingly lest you appear liberal.
* If someone asks you for your coat, tell him to get a job.
* If Caesar is conservative, support him.
* The founding fathers are the modern day apostles.
* Vote without ceasing.
* Rejoice evermore if the Republicans win.
“OK, these are a few of the changes I have made. Look them over and let me know if I need to change anything else. After all, I am YOUR servant.” - Jesus