Monday, February 18, 2013

The Marine Corps Rifle Creed


THE MARINE CORPS RIFLE CREED

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...
My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...
My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...
Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

The above words are recited by every Marine Corps cadet. It is called the Rifle Creed. I would like you to read it more than once and tell me if Christ is in such a oath. And when men and women are indoctrinated with such humanistic and atheistic and violent rhetoric, is it any wonder the church is filled with robotic members whose knowledge of the things of the Spirit is almost untraceable.

Treating an inanimate object as living is delusional especially when it is serious. And adding to that delusion is when people use the terms life, best friend, and most egregious of all the word “savior”. It is almost breathtaking in its scope and blasphemy and yet this kind of spirit is infused into millions of men and women. And how many of these young people not only come from a Christian background, but have made some kind of profession of faith in Jesus Christ? And the church family from which they came revels in their service and supports the secular military to train their children?

How far have we fallen when not only do we support, encourage, and train our children for war and violence, but we allow them to be transformed into violent machines who see their weapons of killing as their “savior”? And in fact they call themselves savior as well. Their partnership with their rifle is now considered a redemptive force. And thousands upon thousands of soldiers come home with a mental and emotional alteration that changes their lives forever. And we wonder why our culture loves violence and guns. Soldiers are not asked just to go to war, they are asked to fall in love with what they do. Many come home with a vibrant love for violence still intact.

We as followers of Jesus must see this for what it is. Nationalism and the love for country is a Trojan Horse that carries with it all kinds of moral and spiritual mischief that is completely at odds with following Jesus. While in the military many men and women learn to drink, learn to curse, learn to hate, learn to kill, and learn to enjoy a promiscuous lifestyle. Adultery is not just in the higher ranks, it is rampant inside the military. The entire experience has nothing about it which is spiritually edifying.

But the Rifle Creed is an open lesson for us all. It publicly exposes just what kind of spirits roam energetically inside the military. I admire those who would put their life on the line for what they believe. However the military experience is an assembly line that molds the perceptions and reinforces certain fallen principles and in general teaches a "might makes right" atmosphere. And in general it teaches men and women that American lives are worth far more than the lives of other nations. People are changed by the assembly line of the military.

But we have not learned such things from Christ. I realize that posts like this are uncomfortable and even painful to read. I realize that in many churches I would be considered an heretic. I realize that any hint of an unpatriotic spirit or a critique of the military as considered anathema. I realize all of that. But I only have one Lord and I cannot bow to anyone but Him.

Christ is my Lord. There is none but Him. I must depend upon Him alone. What He says I must do. Where He leads I must follow. He is my only Savior; beside Him there is no other. I have enlisted for life in His kingdom. His weapons are not carnal but mighty in the Spirit. His armor protects me. His Word lights my path. His Spirit gives me power. His victory is already won and He has allowed me to share in it. This is my Jesus. There are many who try to be like Him, but He alone is the Lord. I pledge all my allegiance to Him and to none other. Amen.

13 comments:

brendan said...

what if one is a soldier already?

Rick Frueh said...

Brendan - My advice is humble patience. Pray and fill your mind with God's Word and be a witness to others. All of us are on a journey, and no one takes all the pills in a bottle at once.
Also, partner with someone more mature in the faith and walk together. Christ will guide you. Peace.

Cherie c. said...

AMEN.

Cherie c. said...

Pastor may not let this comment through, but Brendan, get out as soon as you can. God is calling you out, and since now you know the truth, come out from among them as soon as your duty is complete. I was on my knees in thanksgiving last fall when my younger son listened and did not enlist. He was so close. He is still wandering trying to find his way, and that is because he thinks he needs to feel important. He wants to be a leader, but doesn't understand that man is already called to lead, women and children in the Lord. I keep praying that he some day soon realizes this.

Now that you know the Lord Brendan, I pray that you follow him and not some creed. I will keep you in prayer before the Lord. Know you have brothers and sisters in the Lord praying for you and are here to support you. May the peace of Jesus be with you in these hard days.

your sister in Christ Jesus,
Cherie c.

Rick Frueh said...

Yes, do not re-enlist. But until then move with humble patience and be a witness where you are. Avoid the temptation to force everyone into your view. Most need Jesus first and foremost.

Chris Baumgart said...

Please read 1 Corinthians 7:20-24... It talks about abiding in the situation that you are in, as the Lord changes it for you... He will guide you with wisdom and make a way. Prayer is part of getting to know the depth of God's love for you and for you to give that love back.

brendan said...

thank you very much and GOD bless

Anonymous said...

When I was young, and before I was saved, I'd wonder if I could have the nerve and the courage to enter the military, and I decided I didn't have what it takes. But putting my fear aside, I admired the idea of being of one mind with like-minded soldiers, and to be part of a unit where we could trust and be loyal to each other, never let each other down; and I admired how military personnel are extremely disciplined, devoted, and willing to make sacrifices. Those qualities are qualities that a christian should have.

Every time I hear about young men and women coming home from duty, or I see them in uniform anywhere, I see a person that has the 'heart' that an apostle or disciple should have. Knowing that war and military investments are not something a christian disciple should steer toward, many military people who came to Jesus could put many christian leaders to shame.

However, we are all different. Some of us will just be average ordinary, or tough and brave, or weak and sick, or strong and energetic, or poor, or rich, or having mastered great things, or having worked at $8.00/hour, or been barren, or had a quiver-full of children, or have supportive families, or have no families, or have friends, or who are friendless, yet, each one has special gifts that can help to reach every nook and cranny, when they are in JESUS.

Nations are not about JESUS, and freedom and protection is not about JESUS, it's about survival. If a military uses the argument that they are on a divine mission, it messes with many young kid's minds, especially for those who have some understanding of who Jesus is. They know they are doing right on a patriotic national carnal scale; but leaders shouldn't pretend that what they do is some divine calling; and they shouldn't use or exploit the things of God and yoke scripture with the world.

So many kids come home without limbs and have PTSD, cannot relate to the world around them anymore, they've lost their identities, they are alone and feeling left out and are patronized by greedy politicians who know nothing about what they experienced. Those who were snipers? Their "kills" are celebrated by politicians and while the government voices soothe them with soothing words, they care nothing about the mental anguish these kids endured.

Jesus loves these returning soldiers. And I agree, like Rick says, they can't take the whole bottle of pills at once. Jesus healed a Roman centurian's servant, and he can heal the minds and hearts of these others, like He heals the minds and hearts of anyone who asks.

Cal said...

Thanks for this. I was on the cusp of being an enlistedman in the USMC. King Jesus truly called me out of darkness.

Cal

Cherie c. said...

Glory to God Cal that you have decided against enlisting. We need prayer warriors however to fast and pray. We need young Godly men to to walk in His ways and to lead women and children.

May God bless whatever it is He sends you to do.

your sister in Christ Jesus,
Cherie c.

Anonymous said...

Reading this "creed" made me so sad. I hoped it was merely a spoof, a sarcasm, but it is for real, then? Depressing.

I know of many dear saints of former times of sweet fellowship who have given their children to the military. Some nearly celebrate and revel in it, that their sons are military. I was dead to this issue and was "proud" of our soldiers too at one time, but how and why has the Lord opened my eyes?

I cannot be self-righteous about it, which is easy for me to be, because I was asleep myself, having simply followed along with all the "normal" sentiments of conservative christian americanism, for a long tme. But now it is so obvious that american military is at odds with the words in red, and such an idol, and corrupts our youth so tragically, and is adding to hatred and instability in the world.

I grieve for the young people who are corrupted. I grieve for parents who revel in giving their offspring to "the Corps." How can I ever face such people in love yet in Truth?

Obviously,we
need to spend ourselves in prayer, because it is all so hopeless and helpless without Divine intervention. I'm afraid I am unfit for the task in my present condition: lazy and full of self and carnal habits and old wounds. So backslidden I hardly know how and where to turn back around. But with God, all is possible. He HAS given us everything pertaining to life and godliness--will I believe it enough to act on it?
Victoria

Cherie c. said...

Victoria,

I am praying for you to have a revival of your own with the Lord. Sweet sister, we all tend to stray, but you are not incapable of surrendering to Jesus again, and let Him fill you with strength, and wonder, and love, and peace, and His Joy, not the world's, but His.

My prayer for you is to find confidence in Him who redeemed you, and to give your heart joy. We were all blinded and deceived so please do not let it weigh you down, that is just what satan wants.

You do remember the Scripture:

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

and:

Romans 8:1
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Take heart dear sister, and do not be dismayed.

Love you,
your sister in Christ Jesus
Cherie C.

Reine Gnade said...

Victoria, hold fast to your love for writing, for God has abundantly blessed you as He has Cherie with a beautiful edifying gift.

The Bible mentions God giving certain people over to strong delusions. In my opinion the belief that a strong military force can solve our problems and glorify God is a strong delusion as is Atheism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and the New Age beliefs just to mention a few.

God bless you,