Thursday, February 28, 2013

Call to Rememberance

CALL TO REMEMBERANCE
 
Heb.10: 32 But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions;
33 Partly, whilst ye were made a gazingstock both by reproaches and afflictions; and partly, whilst ye became companions of them that were so used.

If indeed there is a god and if only his existence can be surmised but that god cannot be known personally then his existence is irrelevant and inconsequential to human beings. He then becomes no more important than a discussion as to how the New York Yankees will fare this year. In fact, if this is true then religious adherents are only outdistanced in foolishness by those who spend time chastening them.

There is an element of mystery to be sure in Christianity, and the element of faith is at its core. And the process of spiritual enlightenment seems to be the core factor in the experience of conversion which the Scriptures clearly assign to the Spirit. Yes I believe a sinner can search, but in the end it will be the ministry of the Spirit which will not only draw him to Christ but illuminate his heart/mind to redemptive truth and ultimately will empower him to believe that which is otherwise preposterous.

But in the end the experience of being born again is so real and so permeates our beings that we cannot deny what has happened. Our study of the Word only confirms our experience and we begin to understand things that only days and months ago would have been superstition and even an affront to our intellects. Presented with all the evidence there are still some who suggest man never really visited the Moon. But even though he is well versed in the evidence, Neal Armstrong’s knowledge of the event is overwhelmingly subjective.

He walked on the Moon himself. And although I have studied apologetics and my oldest son has three Masters along those lines, I cling to one subjective experience as my immoveable rock. I once was blind but now I see. And in my forty years of being a believer I have seen some dark days in which I could be tempted to succumb to doubt, depression, and even unbelief. No amount of apologetics would have helped me during those days of darkness. Only a remembrance of my conversion experience comforted me and allowed me to return to spiritual health. It is a kind of Descartes mutation. I know God therefore I am saved regardless of my present expression of that fact.

Never allow your spiritual walk to get so detached from the simplicity and miracle of your original conversion that you live on an autopilot energy. The writer of Hebrews exhorts us to recall those former days. You do not have all the answers and you may not be able to adequately answer all the naysayers, but you know that you have been changed by the knowledge of Jesus Christ. And when the rulers discounted the blind man’s testimony of how Jesus had healed him, he honestly said he only knew that he had been blind but now he could see. That should also be our testimony.

I once was blind but now I see. Here I stand, may God have mercy on my soul.

4 comments:

michael said...

This article raises a good point. The anchor of our soul comes to mind. One element to it, the anchoring, is the anchor is only as useful as the "golden" chain we and it is attached! A couple verses might "illuminate" what I mean?

For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. (Romans 8:13 ESV)

And

For if the blood of goats and bulls, and the sprinkling of defiled persons with the ashes of a heifer, sanctify for the purification of the flesh, how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God. (Hebrews 9:13, 14 ESV)

Anonymous said...

Good day Sir,
I sent you an email (from bdawd@hotmail.com) on sunday after coming across your website and in it I had asked a couple of questions. I just wanted to make sure that you got it and that it did not go into your spam box.
'Busola (Bee Dee)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding me to remember my conversion experience too. We do forget and believe on the fumes of our empty tanks sometimes. I need to refresh and look back on that day and the reality that it did happen.

In the church where I was truly saved (I believe), we were distracted with being like the other 'saints' who had all had an early church apostolic Holy-Spirit filled infilling. It was pure and beautiful. Although I realize there are many ways the Holy Spirit touches people, and there are many ways that people accept Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord and are sealed with redemption, the experience I had was a true life-changing event.

But, still, once the fanfare was down and I settled into a less 'manifestation'-style christian walk, I know that we each go through seasons and steps and graduate into intense training of the mind and heart. When all the excitement is over, it's time to get into the Word, allow God to change me, not get frustrated when I don't feel His presence anymore, or get depressed when he doesn't show up when I call. Although today, I believe He does show up, it's just that I have a pre-conceived idea how He'll save me from something quickly and it doesn't happen quickly.

The maturing process is a hard road. For me, it's brought extreme depression, loneliness, friendlessness, worry, anxiety, lack of human support (except for husband), and for both of us, we totally depend on each other. But our dependence has to include the Lord in everything, because we both aren't spring chickens and rooster and our physical problems increase with age.

I'm praying that my family and I still have seasons to go - good seasons - ones to laugh, and be joyful and embrace and all those good things, God-willing. I pray that each one of us have those seasons yet to come, in their lives too.

Even though we live in a society that spoils us, living for God is still not easy. We become the target of friends' and families' curiosity and disappointment, and a laughingstock, sometimes. It isn't easy living in a culture of narcissism and me-love and trying to engage with relationships with those who embrace this culture. It's nearly impossible to relate to people who embrace the culture today.

On another note, years ago, I met a friend, a young mother life myself who met at a child play center. We connected right away. We later went out for lunch, and she shared with me that she was a born-again christian. I knew about this experience, always wanting to know about it for myself. Here was a perfect opportunity. She shared how she once, very young, had an abortion. Her testimony right then and there was a Spirit-led testimony. She wept while telling me of how she was forgiven by the Lord, but needed Him to help her forgive herself. I was crying too. I realize today that I was completely convicted by my friend's testimony because it came completely from her heart, and I could sense Jesus in the midst. I did an altar call at her church a few weeks later, and it planted a great seed it my, although we moved away, and it took a few years until I had to get back on my knees and seek God seriously and gave Him my life completely.

I believe the Holy Spirit has to be present in a real conversion experience too, and a person knows that he knows that he knows it is real. We sometimes can't explain it, but we know. And, it's hard to repeat it to unbelievers, if their heart is closed to believing in God. I believe that if the christian who is broken while giving his testimony to another, the Spirit of God will be there, and the unbeliever will sense Him stirring his heart.

This is why people who get paid for their testimony by speaking or writing books do not have God's approval in doing so, and it does not convict, because they don't give it freely.

Cherie c. said...

Dear Sister Anonymous, I wish I knew your name, your post caused tears for I understood. We are so undeserving of His love, yet He loves us anyway.

Don't feel lonely for you are loved here and by Jesus. You have your husband and I am happy for you. I do not know what it is like to share the Lord with my husband for he is unsaved but I can imagine it makes it a bit easier. I hope you share your name someday, but until then when I lift you up in prayer before the Lord, He will know who you are. Although my conversion was with fear and trembling I still had a sense of peace and love. He is so wonderful and I am so wretched.

May God continue to bless you and your husband dear sister in Christ. Thanks for the tears to you and Pastor.

Love to all!

your sister in Christ Jesus,
Cherie c.