Sunday, November 29, 2009

He Offers Himself to You...Again

I have come across a source of great and unique inspiration to me. A man named Michael Beck was a thriving fashion photographer and yet his life seemed empty. One day he believed the Holy Spirit spoke to him and he dedicated his life and talent to Jesus Christ. He now uses his photography in a very unique and challenging way in order to get people to consider Jesus outside the confines of religion and tradition.

Here is his website.

I found this picture especially challenging.

I cannot help it, my heart is always open to new expressions of my Savior; ones that draw me ever closer to Him and make me widen my understanding of Who He is and What He does. Of course I deal with theological issues, but I refuse to let my heart become calcified and petrified and unable to be moved emotionally because I am exclusively tethered to doctrinal examinations. He is my raison d’etre and He is my life. I have met Him many times and I have also refused to meet Him many times.

Jesus cannot be put into so many words and with that we are satisfied. He is beyond words and He is above words and He IS the Word itself. We do not draw our breath from some combination of elements; we draw our breath from Him. We do not walk by a mastering of gravitational balance; we walk in Him. We do not see through the optic nerve; we see through Him. We do not hear by sound waves; we hear Him. And we do not speak through vibrating vocal chords; we speak through Him.

How can we communicate the love we have for Him? It is unlike any earthly love, and the combination of emotion, gratitude, humility, and brokenness can only be understood by another who loves Him as do you. Loving God is a mystery only eclipsed by His love for us. We see a man portraying the part of Jesus, and we know he is just a man, and yet the Spirit allows us a vulnerable emotion that is unmistakably directed at the Great Messiah Himself. We do not even know if this man is a believer of the Person he portrays, but it doesn’t matter…we are.

As I perused these photographs I was taken back to the time when I first met Jesus. I did not come to Christ in a church, He found me on a mountain. When was the last time you discarded, at least for the moment, the cares of this world? When have you left the inter-theological squabbles and cleared your mind? And when was the last time you just fellowshipped with Jesus? Only Jesus? Have you lately recalled the time you first met Him? Have you remembered the times where He revealed Himself to you in special and profound ways? Have you been brought to tears over His grace and goodness?

Clear out some time, lean back, and meditate on these photographs with the One they portray. Open your heart to freshness that brings revelation of Him and commitment to you. The world will continue to spin and the universe will continue to exist. But there is no greater calling than Him. He was, He is, and He always will be.

He offers Himself to youagain.

2 comments:

mrs k said...

Wow, wonderful!

Anonymous said...

". Of course I deal with theological issues, but I refuse to let my heart become calcified and petrified and unable to be moved emotionally because I am exclusively tethered to doctrinal examinations. "

Wow...I pray God guards me against just that.