Thursday, August 16, 2007

Seeking Compassion

More and more I see the evangelical world slipping into a cold, hard, and compassionless dialogue that deals with doctrine as if we were handling stone tablets with which to beat each other over the heads. Truth is a bullet rather than a bandage and theology is a scolding rather than a beckoning. I will tell these three true stories and it is my prayer that God will soften our hearts toward Him and each other.

******************************
I worked as a cook in the Brown Derby restaurant in Clearwater, Florida while finishing Bible college. To say I was busy would be an understatement, and in my first two years of marriage my wife had two children and my mother-in-law came to live with us after a painful divorce. Because of my size (6’4” 260) the other cooks affectionately called me “Gorilla”. I witnessed to every single co-worker and had the joy of seeing some come to Christ.

There was one eighteen year old kid whose name was Jeff. Jeff was a wild man and reminded me of my “pre-Christ” self. He was loud and funny and he was what people called a party animal. He would always tell of his drunken escapades and he and I became friends at work. He knew I was a Christian and I witnessed to him to no interest.

One night at church the pastor preached about having a burden for someone’s salvation, and during the message the Lord laid this kid Jeff on my heart. All during the message I kept thinking of Jeff and I wondered if he was working that night. At the close of the service I knelt at the altar and asked God to use me to show Christ’s love to Jeff. I drove to the restaurant and entered the kitchen and there was Jeff. He was being loud and happy and when he saw me he hollered “Hey, it’s Gorilla”. I walked over to him and said “Hey Jeff, how’s it going?”.
“Great”, he said. I asked him if I could speak with him for a minute and he said “Sure”. I looked into his eyes and told him that God had laid him upon my heart. I related some of my testimony to him and the smile fled from his face and he began to look at the floor. I told him about Jesus and who He was and that He loved him and wanted to give him a new life as well as eternal life.

At the end I said, “Jeff, don’t you think you are in need of Christ, personally?”.
Jeff looked up at me and said, “Gorilla, I know what you’re saying is true. My mother has been praying for me for years now, she sings in the choir at Calvary Baptist Church. But I’m not ready yet, I cannot change right now. But I appreciate what you said.”. I prayed for him and said good-bye.

One week later Jeff was killed in a motorcycle accident.

**********************

Years ago I was an assistant to a pastor. One of my ministries was being a part of the administration of the Christian high school that was associated with the church. I interacted with students and parents alike and in that capacity you get attached to the kids. There were two particular girls, sisters, one a fourth grader and the older a freshman in high school. Their grandmother worked in the elementary school and they were two wonderful girls.

Their mother was a drug addict that had deteriorated into letting the grandmother and grandfather take the girls. These girls prayed for their mother to come to Christ and come home to be their mother again. I can remember many tearful times of prayer together. One day the pastor came into my office and closed the door. He informed me that the girls’ mother no longer wanted anything to do with them, and that she had legally given the grandparents adoptive custody. The pastor knew I had been close to those girls and he wanted me to inform them of their mother’s decision.

Now I cannot describe the emotion I felt as I prepared to look into two sets of dark brown eyes and tell these precious girls their mother had abandoned them. What words are adequate for times like those? How do I break their hearts while my own heart breaks for them? How do we deal with the absolute cruelty of such a circumstance?

So I called them and their grandmother into my office and with stammering lips I told them with as much compassion as I could that the mother they had prayed for had not only rejected Christ, she had rejected them. With tears streaming down their faces we prayed and asked God to comfort them in a time of unspeakable pain. They of course were devastated and so was I.
I drove home afterward and sat on my bed and wept before the Lord. I do not know what happened to those girls but every once in a while my mind brings me back to that day.

I will never forget that experience.

**************************

We had prayed for many years that God would protect our children. As our only daughter went into her senior year of high school we began to discuss and pray for the college she would attend. After some discussion, she decided to attend a major Christian university about 1000 miles away. We were overjoyed and prayed that God would move in her life and call her to whatever pleased Him.

So off she went. One year, two years, and three years. There was only her senior year left and we were so proud to think she would soon graduate. It had been a financial sacrifice but it was well worth it. My wife was obsessive about planning a graduation party and all of us were joyfully planning her return for good.

One Sunday afternoon the father of my business partner who were both my friends and brothers in Christ called me to meet with them in my Sunday School room. The company had been going through some tough times and I thought they wanted to discuss business matters. As we sat down I suddenly sensed this was no ordinary business meeting, something else was on their mind.

The father told me there was no easy way to tell me this, but my daughter was seven months pregnant. To say I was devastated was an understatement and I wept uncontrollably with my head upon the desk. What had happened and how was I going to tell my wife and my mother-in-law and my two sons? I was absolutely broken before the Lord and I felt totally humiliated. For months my heart was so heavy I thought that I would never laugh again.

Beside watching my mother die I have never felt such pain.
*****************************
I have shared these three stories for a reason. While we sometimes play such doctrinal badminton we can lose sight that there are people in pain who are need of our compassion, surely not our judgment. It is beneath the One whose name we bear to engage in such compassionless banter without ever considering the human suffering all around us. It is beneficial to sharpen iron with iron, and to learn from Biblical exchanges, but it is unchristian to never stop and gaze at even our enemies and imagine that all of us at one time or another are related by the human condition this side of heaven.
But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.
Our venom must turn to salve, our caustic tone to beseeching, our condescension to compassion. Does your heart ever break over the plight, both now and eternally, for the multitudes? Do we see men as objects rather than fathers, brothers, grandfathers, and the recipients of the common pain we all have felt? Let us resist the temptation to engage in vitriolic attacks against even the ones who attack us in that way. The Lord Jesus lived in compassion and substantiated it all at Golgotha.
If the cross doesn’t speak to you of compassion, well then,
what will…

5 comments:

Jonathan Frueh said...

I remember, a few years ago, I was closer to the Lord than I had/have ever been. Not to say I am not persueing him now, but there are times when I feel closer to him than other times. I remember in those times the talk about lost souls would immediately put a lump in my throat, and following quickly the tears would flow. I remember in Sunday school the talk about so many dying in Africa would send my heart into the depths of anguish for I imagined so many going to a Christless eternity. I also remember going to service afterwards and seeing everyone smiling and shaking hands with my mind and heart saying,"Do we ever get broken before him as to get on our knees and cry to the God of Heaven!" I remember that day you told me my sister was pregnant and I remember talking to her on the phone. I also remember the Sunday after and hearing a song during the worship service. The song went like this, "I stand redeemed by the blood of the Lamb. I stand redeemed because of the great I AM. When he looks at me he sees the nail scard hands that bought my Liberty. I stand redeemed!" Even though it was brought on by something painfull, it was that day and the time where true anguish for the lost hit me. My sis is saved. Her baby(Matthew), who is very dear to me,will hear the Gospel and be taken care of. There are people who are screaming in emotional, physical, psychological pain whose sin's are on there own heads. Nobody is telling them about the blood of Christ..including myself. I pray to my Lord he restoreth my a new heart of anguish for the Lost!

Matthew 5:8 said...

I cannot express how much your posts bless me. This one as well.

Many of the on-line places i read at seem so out of balance today--concentrating less on Christ & encouraging the body to 'come up higher', and more on the dismantling of the body of Christ it self. True Godly compassion appears strangely to be missing in the age we live in.

I am finding this more sad each day.

God bless you and your work here.

------------------

Jonathan i enjoyed your post. Like you, im also praying for a re-newed and greater burden for the lost. I pray God grant both our petitions! amen.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. It spoke volumes to my heart, and simply resonated what I feel the Lord has been dealing with me about for a very long time. Is it so true, that we can become so adept at being religious that be fail to be Christ-like? I think so. We become well acquainted with the "words" we should speak and the "things" we should do i.e. church functions, attendance, proclamations, etc. but we neglect the weightier and mightier matters, which are to love God with a true passion and love others as He loves us.

As I read your stories, I was reminded of a ladies' bible study that I attended last summer. Things seemed to be going well as we shared our hearts and our desires to please Him above all things, when out of nowhere the hostess made a statement that seemed to floor everyone present. She began to bereate those in our church who had adult children who were "living in blatant sin" by living with their boyfriend or girlfriend outside the confines of marriage. While I affirm the sanctity of marriage and all the benefits given to us by God in reverencing it, the sheer pain on one lady's face spoke tremendously to quite a few of us. She was a precious sister in Christ and she began to cry openly. "But I can't just turn my child away. I love him. We pray for him and we've raised him up in the Lord but this is what he's been doing since his divorce three years ago." The hostess continued as how we're to "make a stand" and "call sin what it is, even to the point of distancing ourselves from them. Obviously the damage was done that night, but thankfully, some of us were able to minister to this dear sister later on. She was totally devastated.

Additionally, I have seen cases where judgments would be thrown at others by my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, demeaning the lost and thinking more highly of themselves as though they had something to do with their own salvation. (By grace we are saved through faith...) If Christ died for us and loved us while we were yet sinners, where do we think we have the right to talk about and disdain the very ones for whom He died? Were it not for the grace of God...just as you've said, brother.

This is the second post I've read this week that has dealt with this subject, and I can attest to you right now that my heart is not only convicted, but moved to compassion to pray for a greater burden for the lost. I join with you all in that prayer, and desire to see that we truly learn to live and to love just as Christ did.

Thank you.

Rick Frueh said...

Linda - thank you for sharing. The church has had much practice in judgment and little inclination to show mercy. Our pride is so insidious that it hides behind the "not condoning" facade. Love covers, not condones, a multitude of sins.

Anonymous said...

I do love the mercy you exude in your writings...it was an article you wrote that made me take a look at my own comments on various blogs (in shame) and a desire to repent from a lack of mercy and grace came over me. Continue bearing fruit, it has a great taste of His love.