Friday, November 03, 2006

Thank You Lord - I Am Not Like Other Men

Lk.18:9-12 - And He spoke this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: Two men went up into the Temple to pray, the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, "God, I thank You that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, aldulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice a week, I give tithes of all that I possess."

And we all know the end of that story, the publican was humble before the Lord and it was he that was justified in God's sight, not the Pharisee.

"And I thank you, Lord, that I am not like Rick Warren. I thank you that I am not like Brian MacLaren. And I include in my list Hybells, Bell, Schuller, McKnight, Burke, and any others that have compromised your Word. I am thankful I am not like them. And I bask in your utter approval of me because, as you know, I am not like those men and any others You don't like".

OK, if you happen to be a vampire you will not see your reflection in this literary mirror, but if you are a believer in the Lord Jesus, look for your own image. I see myself all too clearly.

SOME REFLECTIVE QUESTIONS

If you are orthodox in your doctrine and methodology, can you take pride in it?

If God empowers you to identify false teachers and doctrinal departures in the church, how can you remain humble and teachable yourself?

If you spend hours upon hours searching out articles about false teachers, how can you grow Spiritually yourself?

Do we spend as much time in intense intercession as we spend in intense accusation?

As we read the book of Acts and the great moves of God in the church age, are we willing to admit that although we may embrace orthodox theology, we are void of the supernatural power of the Holy Spirit?

If we truly believe in the power of prayer, why don't we gather together every night until God moves in an unusual way?

What is the ratio between times of fasting and times in restaurants?

With the church in such a worldly mess, and with swelling pilgrimages departing from God's Word, where are our tears?

How come the Apostle Paul could call blindness on a man who was interfering with Paul's presentation of truth, but today we can have a wonderful round table discussion on Larry King with the gospel and the spirits of anti-christ politely dialoguing?

Who pleases God more, an orthodox believer filled with pride or an emergent believer clothed in humility?

"You know what, Lord? I don't like those questions, I'm still happy I am not like other men. You must be so proud of me."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very deep and thoughtful post Rick. Yes, we must speak the truth in love while never going for the juggular. Tough, but fully doable by the Grace of God in those who are walking by the Spirit rather than by sight.

In Christ

Mike Ratliff

Rick Frueh said...

"we would still be at enmity with You if it were not for Your blood"

I don't often comment on the comments but I am greatly edified by them. But I could not resist in writing an "amen" to that statement. Thank you S., and most of all thank you Jesus!!