Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Elder Blogs

Some blogs are devotional while others are missions oriented. Some give personal journals while others address political issues. Some minister to women while some come from specific denominations. Some are from an emergent dialogue and others deal with reformed perspectives. There are revival blogs and there are church history blogs. But I want to address something that doesn't seem to be addressed Scripturally in the blogasphere.

There are blogs that correct men and their ministries. They deal with doctrinal and methodological issues and they use the blog format to preach correction to whomever they chose. In reality these blogs are electronic pulpits which not only serve to preach the Word, but they in fact serve in the elder capacity especially given the corrective nature of their ministry. They actually Biblically correct men who they usually name, and in that vein they act as an elder. The Scripture is clear that preachers, evangelists, and pastors who need correction doctrinally and even morally should be confronted by other elders in the body of Christ. That is my point.

I have only posted a blog for less than a year and I have been edified by many others. There are others with which I disagree in doctrinal perspective and I have outlined my reasons via some of my postings. On Following Judah's Lion I post a variety of types of articles which range from verse by verse Bible study, devotional, correction, prophetic, pastoral, and a mix of all these. I enjoy reading many blogs in those different genres, and there are a number of devotional blogs that are overseen by Christian women that I have found edifying both personally and to the body.

But there are a number of blogs that act in the office of elder in their doctrinally corrective nature that are written and overseen by women. Now men and women are equal in Christ as children of the Father, but God has specifically taught us that women and men do not have the same callings in the church. How is it Scriptural that a woman can take doctrinal authority over men in the church? It is not, and it is clear that a woman cannot be an elder in the church therefore she cannot Scripturally correct another man much less an ordained preacher. It is blatantly against Biblical teaching for a woman to act as an elder no matter whether in a church building or in a blog capacity.

These women may even be correct in many of their assessments of certain preachers and movements, but they are outside the confines of Biblical calling when they speak as a doctrinal elder. The elders were called to prayer and the ministry of the Word, and we now see women acting as male elders behind the shield of a blog. It is unscriptural at its core, and because many of them hold to some of the same beliefs as orthodox teachings they have flown under the radar. Christian women have been an incredible blessing to the church of Jesus Christ over the centuries, but they are not to be in ecclesiastical leadership. That is not bigotry, that is Bible. And some of these same blogs that criticize woman like Paula White and Joyce Meyers because the Bible forbids woman preachers, are not only preaching but publicly correcting other ordained men. And many of the comments on these very blogs come from very orthodox men, some of them real "fire breathers". And by their comments, which have in the past included me, we have given doctrinal support to an unscriptural forum.

In our church if a man disagrees with my doctrine or methodology he doesn't send his wife to rebuke me, can you imaging that? It is obviously wrong and completely out of character of the New Testament teachings. And having only been a blogger for less than a year the question comes to me why do orthodox men of God, who sometimes fight over the smallest issue, allow and even support women who are overtly disobeying the Word of God and openly rebuking ordained pastors and preachers? I have come to the conclusion that compromise rides inside the Trojan Horse of the "same enemy fellowship". That means that if you and I see the same doctrinal compromise in Rick Warren, then I'll look the other way concerning your disobedience because we are shooting at the same enemy.

I am a nobody who was called by the Lord Jesus Christ, but if we are going to honor our Father and the truth of Scripture, we must correct our sisters in Christ, which I believe they are. We as elders in the body of Christ are doing them a disservice by not guiding them in this issue and we will be accountable for it. I may stand alone on this, but so be it. If a blog is going to speak correction to other men, including ordained men, then it should come from an ordained elder who runs the blog. This is not meant to be corrosive but corrective. We cannot stand on God's eternal truth about other issues while we look the other way on such an historical Biblical standard. And if we ever hope to call this compromising evangelical church back to repentance, we must do it God's way, not ours. Most of these women have a heart for Christ and a burning desire for revival, but they must come under the covering of God's will.

Let us "speak the truth in love", but let us speak the truth. And as I have said so often, those of us who do speak out in correction of other men let us have grace and a Christ-like spirit. I am still trying to understand the exact mixture between the John the Baptist spirit and the spirit of Jesus. I guess they are both the same, but maybe we should err on the Jesus side until we get to ask Him personally.

An unprofitable servant, Rick

15 comments:

Mike Ratliff said...

Actually, I have heard my wife say something very similar. All who seek to be spirit-led will submit to the Lord's commandments. If we spurn them then we will not be spirit-led. If we take a role in the body that is not for us, but another, aren't we spurning the Lord's commands? All disobedience leads to a level of spiritual blindness. This gives us blind spots which can turn into strongholds if we continue in our disobedience. I fear that many well-meaning women fall into this trap just as men do when they usurp the authority of the elders God had placed over them.

Yes, rebuke is necessary at times. Sometimes, God will lead us to rebuke pastors, teachers, evangelists, etc. who have erred. If they are wise then they will listen and repent. However, foolish people will not listen or heed the rebuke. Thankfully, correction is God ordained and controlled. When we step outside of His structure for this then we err.

John the Baptist called for repentance, to turn hearts back to God. Jesus preached the very same message when John was killed. Yes, let's follow Christ. He is our prime example, not men or women.

In Christ

Mike Ratliff

Rick Frueh said...

Thank you, Jules. I am going to post a teaching on that subject which will be more extensive than this one. Women are allowed to teach, but men are the ones to reprove doctrinal departure since they are responsible for the doctrinal aspects of God's Word. I have known many godly women who see what we see and some even more, but the Word is clear about who God calls to oversee the church. I know this is not popular and I am in no way disparaging women (married 28 years and 1 daughter), and I have benefited greatly over the same 28 years from my Godly mother-in-law who has lived with me all that time. I am just trying to be painfully obedient to the teaching of the New Testament. And yes, I fall short in my calling so pride has no place. Thx. Rick

Rick Frueh said...

Thank you, Sarah, I fully enjoy and am challenged by your blog. And let us men openly admit that we fall short also. All of us need to repent and let God brake us to reform us into His image and His glory. Can you see this, my post gets support from women who love Jesus, it's not a gender thing, it's a Jesus thing. To God be the glory!!!

Baptist Girl said...

Hi Rick,
I guess I am guilty too. My blog wasn't meant for that. It was somewhere I went to put down my thoughts and encouragement for others. I sincerely repent if that is the way it come aross.

Cristina

Aaron Stewart said...

"It is obviously wrong and completely out of character of the New Testament teachings."

Hi Rick,

I would be cautious of identifying something as "obviously wrong" that may or may not just be your opinion. The fact that you are taking such issue with women as elders seems to have less to do with actual scripture and more to do with men being superior to women and using specific scripture to do that.

Aren't we supposed to practice proper exegesis and look at scripture in it's context? The way that you are pulling out legalistic guidelines from these passages of scripture aren't taking into account the time in which the epistle was written. It we approach scripture in this way then don't we have to take everything literal? Everything in the OT as law and therefore needing to be obeyed? I don't know about you but I don't think I can follow all of the Levitical laws, much less avoid being put to death for disobeying them.

Thanks,

Aaron

Aaron Stewart said...

So as not to seem like I'm trying to put words in the pastor's mouth I would just point to an article by my pastor that better explains my position and where I'm coming from.

:)

http://bobhyatt.typepad.com/bobblog/2006/02/women_in_leader.html

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how so many men who object to female bloggers who comment on church issues spend so much on women's sites. I think you would have more credibility, Rick, if you would stay off of women bloggers sites and stop sending them nasty emails on top of it. Bloggers are not pastors and they're not churches either. Secondly, these wives who blog are subject to their husband's authority and not random male bloggers who resent their presence in the blog world. Blogging is no different than any other form of publishing. I am deeply grateful for the publishing efforts of Godly women like Purigan poet Anne Bradstreet, Amy Carmichael, Frances Havergal, Isabel Kuhn, Catherine Marshall, Elizabeth Elliot, and many more who don't hesitate to address doctrinal issues.

Rick Frueh said...

Carrieg - You are exhibiting the very issue the Bible forbids, if you are a woman.

Anonymous said...

Aaron,
Could you please resend the link you mentioned in your post. I can't open it.

While I understand where these viewpoints about women not being in leadership that have been around for so long have come from (and is there not so much in between - from being segregated, to not singing, to having heads covered, to not serving communion {but lunch for the men is okay}. Everyone has a different read on it for different places and roles.

I have been taught from the scriptures (and I may pull all the references I see this from later)that women can serve and be deacons. There are many scriptures that show how women served and were in leadership: Deborah; Phoebe, Priscilla, Tryphoena, Tryphosa, Persis, Junia, Euodia, Syntyche - as a small sampling.

In terms of certain refereces about women not being over men, they need to be seen in the whole context they were be spoken of.

And in some of the very scriptures we pull out for 'proof' of our stand, we also conveniently forget what we do with others. Do all the women at your churches cover their heads? Do none of them cut their hair? Think of scriptures that were used in the past to support the idea of the slave trade, and other such terrible things. You all know I could go on, but I think you get my point.

Anonymous said...

Check out the following article as food for thought.

http://www.christianity.ca/faith/apologetics/
2004/03.000.html

What if, like those who used the Bible for slavery, we have been wrong all along?

Joanne

Anonymous said...

People have been disagreeing on this one for years, and I have seen convincing arguments from both camps. It's just like so many other issues within our faith. And I have not yet seen one side convince another. There are endless amounts of time to spend on this, as many before us already have. I chose to disagree based on how I have seen scripture explained from our CURRENT understandings of the Greek and Hebrew.

I will leave you all to nod and agree with one another.

See you on the other side.

Anonymous said...

Women acting as elders on the blogosphere? Now I have heard everything.

A blog is like a living room conversation, you are welcome to participate or not. And you can leave.

My years of experience have shown me that one should be wary of men who start pounding on this issue. Real humble servants of Christ don't have to expound on this issue because women are delighted to submit to their authority because they can be trusted.

Sir, am I to take it, you think these women bloggers are under your authority?

By the way, I do NOT believe women pastors are scriptural. But you guys take these verses way off the charts.

Rick Frueh said...

The church is people not buildings and the Scriptural teachings about how God has designed different roles for women in the church is universal. It applies in the living room as you say as well as in the church building. It should be our supreme desire to humbly obey the unalterable teachings of our Lord.

My teaching is not meant to bring any woman under my authority, but under the authority of the Savior, which by the way, most of these women love with all their hearts.

Anonymous said...

So the blogosphere is church? Have you contacted these women to speak to their husbands by e-mail or phone about their actions? If not, I wonder why not?

J♥Yce Burrows said...

Your concern is very appreciated and your care that ladies and gentlemen act as God has designed them, specifically in role as your post speaks, is welcomed. Adjustments have been made on my blog's most recent postings(designed with an ambience for female readers though God could very well have a gent view and hopefully edified with some aspects that apply to all in Christ).

May you have a day of rejoicing in the Lord!

Mrs. Burrows