Thursday, October 27, 2011

Judging and the Secret Things

I watch the news as do you and I see the occupy protesters, just as I watched the Tea Party gatherings, and my heart goes out to them both. I admire their zeal and their passion, but they seem like sheep without a shepherd. There will always be causes, and man will always look to satisfy his unruly heart by changing his surroundings. And so often men look to change the government in hopes of bringing contentment to their souls.

And at the core of both of these movements is money. If America was in the middle of an unprecedented economic boom, and if the rank and file American was experiencing incredible prosperity, there would be no protesting. The average westerner now believes prosperity is owed to him, and he sees the arrogance and corruption in Wall Street and the CEO remunerations as unfair and even cutting into his own prosperity. And although almost no one goes hungry, and almost everyone has a cell phone and television and microwave and automobile and computer and iPod and an array of clothing, it still does not quench the voracious appetite for more.

But as I said, my heart goes out to them. And although I can identify the source of such things, I try not to judge for three very good reason.

First, I struggle with things myself, and I often catch myself exhibiting signs of discontent. I openly and publicly admit that to you and to my God. He knows.

Second, I used to be lost. I was one of them, and in fact I was a leader in all kinds of sinful and self serving activities. I know what it is to be lost since I was not born again until I was almost 23 years old. So I used to run with that crowd, and I don’t want to condemn them, I want to share with them the only way out - the Lord Jesus christ.

Third, the reason I am now changed has nothing to do with me. I was granted a most undeserving pardon which came through something I could never earn nor could I ever understand - the grace of God. And please do not think that through these 36 years of knowing Christ that I was an easy project for God. How many times has God had to drag me kicking and screaming? How many times have I exhibited a repulsive self righteousness? How many times have I let an opportunity to witness go by? Oh no, God’s grace wasn’t just necessary on the day I was converted; I stand in total and complete need of His matchless grace every single day.

And knowing this, how can I stand on some ivory tower and pass judgment of those whose sin has become more visible than mine? Jesus did not come to condemn the world. He came to offer salvation to this sin darkened world. There is coming a time that the offer of grace will be over, but that times is not yet. And here is where I would like to establish an important point.

The measure of our devotion to Jesus Christ can only be evaluated by what we do in secret.

Matt.6:1-6 - Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.


Having been a pastor for many years I will share this with you. Preaching and singing and visiting and counseling were far less difficult than the things I should be doing in secret. Spending two hours alone in prayer continues to be a most difficult challenge. And reading, meditating upon, and reaching deep into God’s Word personally and without an eye for a message is also a great challenge. So I will allow you to listen as I uncomfortably challenge myself.

Rick,

Why is it so hard for you to spend much time alone with God? Why do the cares of this world often catch your sails and turn your ship? Why is it that many times your day is void of the passion and thirst for your Lord and Savior? How much of the God given 24 hours do you devote to communion with Christ? If God removed your preaching, your witnessing, your writing, your singing, your piano playing, and all that was left was what you did in secret as a disciple, what would your spiritual life look like?

And with those uncomfortable questions I exhort us all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"And with those uncomfortable questions I exhort us all."

Your uncomfortable question hits home, Rick, very hard.

Other than prayers tossed off on the fly during the day, or at going to bed, or in worship services, I only deliberately spend time with God once a week, listening and just being in His Presence. At that has only been in the last year, at His express direction !

It's usually only about an hour a week, with The One who created me, saved me from death, and rules all things !! The One I say (truthfully) I want more of, I give an hour a week.

Your words not only exhort me, they shame me to my core. Thank you for them !

In Jesus, Steve

Rick Frueh said...

Thank you so much for your honesty. Repentance can not be validated witout painful honesty!

Anonymous said...

I've been reading a lot of blogs and articles and watching videos of people at the OWS and of people predicting the collapse of the fiat currency...among other things.

I don't disagree with a lot of what I'm hearing - on a worldly level. But some of these people are saying things like - if everyone would...
like - if everyone would stop using money. Or - if everyone would just declare themselves free.

For one thing - they're looking for utopia. They want change, they see how they'd like the world to be, and they want everyone to go along with it.

I've been able to tell some of them that this is a fallen world. This is what the world is like and we should expect it to be evil. Our only hope is Christ. The only kingdom worth living in is His.
We cannot make the world a nicer, cleaner, safer, more equitable and fair place. It's a nice thought - but it's futile and useless to strive for it.

Anyway...I do wonder what's coming but whatever it is we must rely on and trust in Jesus to either see us through or take us home.

I've said before that I need to just read His word and commune with Him - praying more...but still I read the articles and blogs. It's time to stop.

Lisa