Monday, December 09, 2013

A Word of Wisdom

A WORD OF WISDOM

Ok, some of us do not celebrate Christmas. Yes, it is a pagan holiday which some pope turned into a “Christian” holy day. I have written about it HERE and HERE.

But here is where we need some humble wisdom because we are very prone to feel superior when God has shown us something which brings us closer to Him. I have often felt that kind of inward hubris especially when you repent of something in which most of the church indulges. I still must battle a self righteous attitude about nationalism or pacifism. And even though I do not “celebrate” Christmas anymore I must guard against lording it over people and embracing a feeling of self satisfaction.

Paul had Timothy circumcised even though it had nothing to do with the Christian faith. I do not suggest we celebrate Christmas, but what I do suggest that we do not make that a bone of contention. Let the Spirit lead others while we pray for them. Arguments just undermine our witness for Christ. Perhaps something like this.

You know (someone’s name) even though I no longer celebrate Christmas for what I believe are Scriptural reasons, I do not want to appear holier than thou. I still have a very long way to go before I live like Jesus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Post!

I've been in conversation with another brother concerning this exact thought, in other areas as well...

I thank God He opened my eyes, yet it took years!...

Lord, may I have the same patience and long-suffering toward my brethren that are caught up in false doctrine, false movements...

Help me be just as you Father, to show that grace and love that passes my understanding...

Let me comprehend with all the saints, the height, breadth, length and depth of that love...

An imitator of my Father, mature in His nature...

A fervent love of my brothers...may they see Jesus through us...

Awesome Brother!!!

Anonymous said...

brcorcoran

Your best post since I've been reading here!
This prayer is what other readers of this blog should pray!

Steve said...

"...we are very prone to feel superior when God has shown us something which brings us closer to Him. I have often felt that kind of inward hubris especially when you repent of something in which most of the church indulges. I still must battle a self righteous attitude about nationalism or pacifism."

This is absolute WISDOM, brother, and thank you for it.

The first years I rejected Christmas as unChristian I was completely in PRIDE about it...and still fight against pride in that regard (and as witnessing God's rejection of nationalism, militarism, etc.)

How easily we fall into satan's trap of self-congratulation ! Never MORESO than when God speaks His way to us more clearly than others have yet heard...

Again, thank you for this post in warning.

"Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed that he does not fall."

In Jesus, Steve