Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Poor, Money, and Violence

This is in response to a commentor's good insight:

Jn.3:8-14 - Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
9And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
10And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then?
11He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.
12Then came also publicans to be baptized, and said unto him, Master, what shall we do?
13And he said unto them, Exact no more than that which is appointed you.
14And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.


We know that the mission of the followers of Jesus is preaching the gospel of redemption, however it seems the fruit of such believers has much to do with how they treat the poor and how they view money.

4 comments:

John Marsh said...

Amen. May I do a better job caring for the poor and hurting tomorrow and everyday there after.
And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?' And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me. Mat.25:33-40

Rick Frueh said...

Very good, John.

Anonymous said...

A little off topic, but when I read of the John the Baptist, it amazes and humbles me to see how we must be content with how God chooses to use us for His glory. John had received God's Word in the wilderness, and was able to preach of, recognize, and even baptize the Messiah. Purely conjecture on my part, but he must have felt in his flesh that he would go on to be a disciple of Christ and see wondrous things. Instead, he is imprisoned while Jesus continues on without him. Even after having a role in preparing the way for Christ and being present as the Holy Spirit descended onto Jesus; he seems (to me at least) to have room for doubt. In Mat 11, the captive John has his followers ask Jesus: "Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another?" John's followers return and report back the miracles that they have witnessed and also deliver a message from Jesus: "And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me." I know most commentaries treat these two statements as generalities, but I believe that they were personal exchanges. For me, reading this reminds me that God is immeasurable, infinite, and all powerful. He is the creator of all things. There is nothing greater than Him. Even beyond the Miracle of the Cross, God is worthy of our worship. To be used by Him in any way is more than we deserve.

Rick Frueh said...

John the Baptist made the definitive statement for all disciples of Christ.

"He must increase, but I must decrease."

Would to God that was true of all of us!