Sunday, September 02, 2007

What Can a Lost Person See?

If you are of the persuasion that God alone chooses who He wants in heaven and for some reason that group is miniscule by His own admission, then it surely doesn’t matter what the body of Christ projects to the lost world. In that case any hatred, any vitriol, any malice, any demeaning humor, and any hyperbolic name calling does not hinder the evangelistic effort in any way. That my friends is a very dangerous bus to ride to heaven to find out if indeed some of our behavior actually did turn away some for whom Christ died.

But if you believe that Christ died and tasted death for every man then our behavior before a lost world matters. Eternally. Can a lost person understand the essence of Scripture? Can he understand the Trinity? Can he understand justification by faith? Can he understand any substantive doctrinal issues that are continually revolving around the ecclesiastical neighborhood? The answer is no, they can only be Spiritually understood and that can only come with the inhabitation of the Holy Spirit after conversion.

But one thing a lost person can see and understand is how people interact with each other in love and grace. Jesus Himself gave a new and revolutionary mandate when He said, “A new commandment I give unto you, That you have love one another; as I have loved you, that you love one to another. By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one to another.” The lost person cannot see your doctrine, he cannot see your denomination, he cannot see your knowledge of Greek, and he cannot see which theological camp you hold membership in, but by the Master’s own mouth he can see if we have love for one another.

One news article that displays the repulsive underbelly of the body of Christ as verbal incendiaries are tossed carelessly at other brothers without regard for the collateral damage it may do in the hearts and minds of lost people, just might have eternal consequences. But like a husband and wife so engrossed with fighting they do not even care that their children are now watching, so are some brothers and sisters that are so caught up with their own agendas that they refuse to even consider sharing the same issues in a more civil and even Christian manner. If we have lost love, and not just the “telling them the truth is love” embarrassing justification, we have lost everything. And not just among ourselves as painful as that is, but the dark world keeps marching to a lost eternity confident that the squalid mess they see in the church family certainly cannot have the answer. You see, they live in the midst of bitterness and hatred and strife, they don’t want to just change uniforms, they need to see a place where the love of Christ is demonstrated, not just listed on a paper creed, but as living deeds of sacrificial love, self denying love, and love that cannot be explained in human terms.

Love that is so supernatural that when witnessed by the world they say, “Look at how they love one another, they must be followers of Jesus”. They’re still waiting to see that love. Can we pray that the day will come, when after seeing the movie the Passion of the Christ, the world exits the theatre saying that the love in that movie reminds them of the love that Christians have for one another? And to remove any apprehensions everyone gets to keep the doctrines they believe while loving each other.

Novel, huh?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"You see, they live in the midst of bitterness and hatred and strife, they don’t want to just change uniforms, they need to see a place where the love of Christ is demonstrated, not just listed on a paper creed, but as living deeds of sacrificial love, self denying love, and love that cannot be explained in human terms."

Sorry, Rick. But, I don't believe that the lost think at all in these terms. This places the onus of saving the lost on the behavior of Christians, something which the Scriptures simply don't do.

Should Christians clean up their act and start behaving like children of God? Most certainly! But, to suggest that our excellent behavior is what draws a lost soul is untrue.

Rick Frueh said...

Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

You are epistles, read of all men.

Its better if you have a millstone tied around your ne neck and be cast into the sea than to make one of these little ones stumble.

And there are scores of other Scriptures that openly indicate that our lives can be an enhancement to the gospel of Christ or a hinderance. The lost do not think in these terms, but the message is subliminal. Gandhi said, "I think I would have become a Christian if it were not for Christians" That is not an excuse, but it should be a rebuke to all of us.

Baptist Girl said...

Hi Rick,
I do not believe sinners seek out God....
Rom 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

Isa 64:6 But we are all as an unclean [thing], and all our righteousnesses [are] as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Rom 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God


It's God working in us

Ezekiel 36:26-27 26 "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 "I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them

Jesus did not die for everyone, otherwise everyone would be saved..

Romans 9:15-18 15 For He says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion." 16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth." 18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens
John 12:37-40 37 But although He had done so many signs before them, they did not believe in Him, 38 that the word of Isaiah the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spoke: "Lord, who has believed our report? And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?" 39 Therefore they could not believe, because Isaiah said again: 40 "He has blinded their eyes and hardened their hearts, Lest they should see with their eyes, Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn, So that I should heal them."

We do not seek Him until He draws us

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 6:65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father

John 17:24 Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world

He opened Lydia's heart, He drew Her
Acts 16:14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard [us]: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.

Rick, I have ask myself many times, Why did He choose/Elect me...Grace. It humbles me so much because I am not worthy of such grace.
I am not a Calvinist but I do believe God has chosen His people before the foundation of the world. I do believe in the 5 Points because that is what I see in scripture.

As for acting like Christ before the world that is what He has called us to do. We should be different to the world because we are not of this world. When some christians treat other believers badly because they do not agree totally with one another then there is someting definitely wrong.
I beleive we should all be teachable and we can learn from one another.

We disagree on certain things Rick, but I gladly call you my brother. You love the Lord with all your heart and you have a heart for the lost and the saved.

Cristina

Mike Ratliff said...

Amen Cristina!

PRCalDude said...

If you are of the persuasion that God alone chooses who He wants in heaven and for some reason that group is miniscule by His own admission, then it surely doesn’t matter what the body of Christ projects to the lost world. In that case any hatred, any vitriol, any malice, any demeaning humor, and any hyperbolic name calling does not hinder the evangelistic effort in any way. That my friends is a very dangerous bus to ride to heaven to find out if indeed some of our behavior actually did turn away some for whom Christ died.

I'm a Calvinist and I absolutely think you have to watch what you say to other believers and how you act toward unbelievers. Calvinists still have to obey the Biblical commandment to love your neighbor. It's not fatalism or hyper-calvinism. One should want to represent Christ properly, Calvinist or no, right?

donsands said...

The Jews believed, and understood, in Jesus Christ, for they saw Him. They saw Him raise Lazarus from the dead. It really happened and they believed it, however, they wanted to kill the Lord, and even Lazarus.

They saw pure love before their very eyes and rejected it, and wanted to annihilate this love.

How much more will the world want to annihilate the love of God working through His Church?

Just a couple thoughts I had.

Good post. i enjoyed reading it.
And we surely are to walk in the light, and in love, speaking the truth.
God bless.
Keep on.