Saturday, March 03, 2007

The Problem With Good Works

“Our hearts contain a horrible religious fanatic who maintains an idol and altar complex there that is dedicated to self worship“.

That statement was made by a man of God and a friend of mine, Mike Ratliff, whose blog is named “Possessing the Treasure” and is must reading for the serious and devoted follower of the Lord Jesus. The statement itself was made in the context of a post entitled “The Problem With Good Works” on the Possessing the Treasure blog. As I was reading this article I came across this sentence and it immediately stopped me in my tracks and I had to meditate upon the imagery and truth of such a revelation.
There are many names for the fallen spirit within every person including any and every born again follower of Christ. Some get into an argument about the terminology and/or the essence of this “religious fanatic” within all of us. Some call it the old nature, or the old man, or the flesh, or other descriptive names that reveal the sinful nature of the hidden man. Some believe it cannot be the old nature because he was destroyed at conversion while others believe he is yet to be eradicated. Those are the finer points of theology but one thing we can all agree upon no matter what your theology about it is, it is our enemy.
So for the first time I am linking this piece to my blog and invite you to read it. I will expand my writing concerning this a little later but I wanted you to be edified by Mike’s writing first at Possessing the Treasure.

1 comment:

Mike Ratliff said...

Rick,

I can't wait to read the rest of it. May God give you His words to write for our edification and His glory.

In Christ

Mike Ratliff