Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Guilty or Not
Rom.8:1 - There is therefore now no condemnation to them which in Christ Jesus...

As I am brought into the Universal Courtroom I am overwhelmed because I have just witnessed a man, who I believed was not nearly as bad as I was, sentenced to life without the possibility of parole in a prison of unbelievable torment. I surely did not think that just because I had become a follower of the Lord Jesus several years earlier that it would make any difference, after all, I had broken the Judge’s laws for thirty years and I did not have enough time to make amends even though I was now living very differently.

The clerk calls the court into session and the Accuser calls his first witness, an angel. The Accuser ask the angel,
“State your name for the record”.
“I am Rick Frueh’s guardian angel. I was assigned to him at birth.”
“So you have watched him since he was born”, said the Accuser.
“Yes, I have”.
As the Accuser’s eyes start to glisten with anticipation he continues, “Have you ever seen Rick say something he knows he shouldn’t have said?”
“Yes, many times.”
“Have you ever seen Rick look at something he knows he should not have looked at?”
“Yes, many times”.
“Have you ever witnessed Rick deliberately disobey God?”
“Yes, many times”.
The Accuser turns to the Judge and contently says, “No more questions your honor”.
The Judge motions to the Defense Attorney and says, "Your witness”.
The Defender asks the angel, “Was Rick sincere and trying to be a good Christian?”
“Objection!”
shouted the Accuser as he leaped to his feet. “His intentions are irrelevant”.
The Judge agreed and with that the Defender had no more questions.
I sat there feeling so very guilty and I was rapidly losing hope. Even an angel of the Most High God had testified against me before the entire universe and even I could not disagree with him. I looked back and saw the next witness approach the stand.
“State your name for the record.”
“I am the Holy Spirit”.
“Are you also called the Spirit of Truth and isn’t it true that you cannot lie?”
“Yes, that is true”.
“How long have you known the accused, Rick Frueh?”
“I have known him since he was born and I came to live inside him two years ago”.

“Well have you ever witnessed Rick saying or thinking or even doing something he knew God did not want him to do?”
“Yes, I have”.
“Tell me, Holy Spirit, have you ever told Rick not to do something and he did it anyway? And have you ever told Rick to do something that he refused to do even when he had heard your command?”

“Yes, I have witnessed that.”
“A few times or many times?”
“Many times”.

“No more questions.”
My Defender rises and asks the Holy Spirit, “Since Rick has become a Christian has he been sincere and has he tried to do what God wanted?”
“Objection!”
, said the Accuser. “The intentions of Rick are irrelevant, his sins are the only pertinent evidence in this court.”
Again the Judge agrees and my defender asks no more questions. Finally the Accuser calls me to the stand.
“What is your name?”
“Rick Frueh”, I sheepishly reply.
“Mister Frueh, you’ve heard the testimony against you. The angel and the Holy Spirit have testified in open court that you have broken God’s laws many times both before and after you became a Christian. Do you dispute any of their testimony?”
“No, I cannot.”
“Well let me ask you Mr. Frueh, is it not true that you have sinned against God this very day?”

“Yes, it is true.”
“As a matter of fact has there ever been even one day that you have not sinned against God?”
“No, there has never been even one.”
“No more questions”.
My defender rises and asks me, “When you became a Christian were you sincere and did your life change from that day forward?”
“Objection!”, declares the Accuser. “The intentions of Mr. Frueh are irrelevant and by Rick’s own mouth he has sinned against the Holy God even after he became a Christian.”
The Judge agreed and my Defender sits down. I am now feeling completely guilty and depraved before this Judge and in despair I wonder if there is anyone who can come to my defense.
The Judge speaks up, “Before I rule is there any other evidence to be presented?”
The courtroom gets quiet and everyone prepares for me to receive the same punishment as the man before me. Suddenly a voice strongly says, "You Honor, I have one last piece of evidence that I wish to bring before the court".
“All right then, come forward”
, says the Judge.
“I object”, shouts the Accuser.
“Overruled!”, says the Judge. “You are to keep quiet now”!
My defender rises and walks to the front of the courtroom and as He faces the Judge He raises up both of His hands, shows them to the Judge and all the universe, and He says,
“I offer as evidence the nail scars in my hands. I offer as evidence the nail scars in my feet. I offer as evidence the stripes on my back. I offer as evidence the wounds on my head. I offer as evidence the blood that I shed as payment and absolution for all the sins that Rick Frueh has committed. With that, Your Honor, I rest my case”.
The Judge looks around the courtroom. He says,
“I believe the testimony I have heard today from all the witnesses. I believe that Rick Frueh has committed grievous offenses against Me and my law. I believe the evidence has shown him to be guilty and deserving of death.”
I feel hopeless as I look over and see the Accuser laughing at me.
The Judge continues,
“But in the light of this new and bloody evidence I find that there is no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus. And with that I find Rick Frueh not guilty of the crimes he was accused of and I pronounce him accepted in the Beloved and completely justified. Mr. Frueh, you are free from the eternal penalty of sin.”
With tears of gratitude I say, “Thank you, Judge”.
The Judge looks at me and replies, “Do not call me Judge anymore. Call me Father and call your Defender, Lord. He has presented an eternally concrete case.

Rom.8:1 - There is therefore now no condemnation to them which in Christ Jesus...



3 comments:

Lawrence said...

Paul's letter to the Romans. My favorite book of the Bible.

As for me: Yes, I am a bad Christian, and I am not apologizing. As for repenting, that is another matter. Please forgive me.

Mike Ratliff said...

Amen Rick. Very well done. I will try to write a post on my Jury Duty experience after the case is over. I have to go back tomorrow for more deliberation. We have a very good jury who wants to do what is right and just so we are being very careful.

However, praise be to God the evidence of my good standing before my Father resides in the Son not me. Amen!

In Christ

Mike Ratliff

Baptist Girl said...

Rick,
Praise be to God that we His children, are no longer condemed. Praise be to God that He gave us His son so that we are prisioners no more.

Cristina