Saturday, October 21, 2006

The Top Ten Verse We Do Not Fully Believe

I asked the Lord and myself what are the most obvious verse we do not fully believe as can be judged by our actions. I also asked one of godly friends to help me in rating them. Here is what he came up with and I concur. The number 1 verse at the bottom is actually the most unbelieved verse and so we start with number 10. If you like you can suggest your own.

10. Acts 1:8 - But you shall receive power after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
God's Word teaches that the Holy Spirit is the third Person of the Godhead, equal with the Father and Son. We are also taught that upon conversion He, the Holy Spirit, comes in a mystery to take up residence inside of us to fulfill His ministry. In this verse Jesus Himself states we will be filled with power to impact the entire world. Where oh where has the power gone?

9. Phil.4:19 - But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
The reservoir that God draws from is His riches in glory, and with that unfathomable security why do we ever worry...about anything?

8. I Jn.4:11 - Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
This might have made it to the top because we are so incapable of true love ourselves and we seldom beg God to give us love, especially for those we do not desire to love. Do I love Rick Warren? Do I love Brian MacLaren? Do I love Rosie O'Donnell? You see what I mean.

7. Jn.14:14 - If you shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
The Scriptures exhort us to ask largely that our joy may be full and it further instructs us to do all things by prayer and supplication. How many of us would have avoided many mistakes had we asked God?

6. I Thess.5:18 - In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
Wow, how about this one? Even when we sometimes ask for prayer its in a "poor me" context rather than a "rejoice evermore" atmosphere. Think of all the "bad" things that have happened to you and Give God sincere thanks for either getting you out, pulling you through, or using you to glorify Himself.

5. Jn.6:27 - Labor not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.
Would I be mistaken in observing that most of our labors go to material things?

4. I Thess.5:17 - Pray without ceasing.
Do I even need to comment?

3. Rev.20:15 - And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Probably the sadest and most profound verse in God's Word. If that verse is true and we believed it would it not significantly alter our life habits and passion?

2. Matt.6:19 - Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal.
And we literalists have reduced the essence of this verse to metaphor status and we approach it as what can we keep not what should we have.


And the #1 verse that we do not fully believe is this:
Lk.14:33 - So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.
You see, this verse, straight from our Lord's lips, must be tweaked in order not to expose our shallow discipleship. And so what do we do with it? Look out now, you are not going to like this word so buckle your seat belts. I hate to admit it, because I am against doing this. Are you ready? We take the absolute transcendent meaning from this verse and we...uh...um...contextualize it.
Sorry, but we do.

4 comments:

Renee said...

Thanks for this list Henry. I was just thinking about these same things (not necessarily these exact verses per se) but that fact that here in America, where we have an abundance...we have forgotten the Lord and His promises... we don't believe in the power of the Holy Spirit and we rely more on our feeble attemtps to get things done (and then spend even more time wondering why it doesn't work as is evident in the corrupt decay in the nation all around us).

Baptist Girl said...

Those verses sure hit home Rick.
Luvvom mentioned in you previous blog about listening to a message by Paul Washer, My husband and I also listened to it and it sure hit home.
Another verse I need to remember more often..
I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. (Philip 4.12-13)

I sometimes forget He is there in all things and that I can draw strength from Him instead of being stubborn and try do accomplish things on my own.

Cristina

Anonymous said...

In Steve Farrar's book, "Gettin' There", he states that most folk don't believe Ephesians 2:1 (And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins), tending to think we had a role to play in being saved.

As with the other verses and observations from Rick, this one hangs on the tendency we humans have to value ourselves too highly and, fearing not God, disregard His Word.

Anonymous said...

I believe we can sum each of these into one understanding. Either we walk by faith and beleive and do those things or we walk by sight and are full of unbelief. Yes, it is that simple. In your previous post you talked about Living by Faith or Walking by Faith. Believing and doing these things is an outcome or fruit of Walking by Faith. And that means, we have no rights and are sold-out to our Lord for His use and for His glory alone.

In Christ

Mike Ratliff