Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Life in His Spirit

There is much confusion concerning what place and role the Old Testament Scriptures have in the life of the church. Some have removed it from their Bible completely, while others teach the Law is still for the church today. You will need your Bible for this article so I'll wait....hmm....halleluiah...da, da...OK, are you back? Good. Let's go!

What was the purpose of the Law?

Gal.3:24 - Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

So the law had many operations, but its sole purpose was to bring us to Christ, in whom is the end of the law to everyone who believes.


The law was death. Let me ask you this question: When my first born son came into this world I went to the hospital and rejoiced over the new life. My wife had gone through much travail to give him life, and now her pain is dissipating as her brush with death has birthed life. What would you say if I went to the morgue and took a corpse and dragged into the hospital, went to my infant son's little bed, and I laid that decaying corpse right next to him? That is what we do when we bring any part of the Old testament law and place in the New Testament, we place death in the covenant of life.

II Cor.3:7 - But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance, which glory was to be done away with...

When Moses received the law from the hand of Almighty God, he had to cover his face with a veil because the glory of God shone on his countenance so brightly the people could not look upon him. And Paul calls it the ministration (or ministry) of death and teaches that it has been done away with, completely. So when anyone tells you we are still under the law you can reply "Get that corpse away from me, I am under a living covenant of the Spirit purchased by the blood of the Lamb". That is why it is fairly useless for us to fight to hang up the ten commandments anywhere, following them will send you to hell without Jesus. I might be persuaded to be in favor of hanging up John 3:16, but the ten commandments, they without Christ are the ministry of death and now have no glory. Our message has never been national morality, our message is Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

II Cor.3:6 - ...for the letter killeth, but the Spirit giveth life.

The law will kill you unless the Holy Spirit uses some of it to "convict of sin" (Jn.16:9) and draw a person to Christ. You see the lost community feels that we are preaching morality when we get involved with these issues when in fact our mandate and commission is to preach the gospel to all the world. The world cannot understand much less adhere to Biblical morality, no, they need Christ and Him crucified, period. Only the entrance of the Holy Spirit can give a person light and life, and only becoming a believing follower can a person receive the Spirit. So the chicken or the egg principle applies here also. And what is more deadly is moral people who claim adherence to the ten commandments who have never been born again. Death...eternally.

Now are we supposed to be moral? Of course, but not because of the law, because of the Spirit.

Rom.8:1-2 - There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.

As I travel down the highway before I'm saved I see road signs that say 60 mph and I must obey them or the law will bring justice to me. But after I'm saved there are no exterior road signs, there is the voice of the Spirit inside me saying "You're going too fast". And in a metaphor if I continue to go too fast and I have an accident God does not come to me as a judge to pronounce sentence upon me, no, He comes to chasten me as a Father and in love He also forgives me, although I may bear the earthly consequences of my actions. And what about later when they pull up my record?

Rom.4:8 - Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

My record is hidden in the scars on the figure hanging on Calvary's cross. It is like this...how many sins did Adam commit to experience Spiritual death? The answer of course is one, and it was a comparatively small sin, albeit still rebellion. Do you and I ever sin? Bigger sins than eating a forbidden fruit? Then why do you and I not die Spiritually? Because we are dead already to this world and our life is hidden in Christ in the heavenlies. We have already died and this life we now live, although still outwardly resembling the former person, is not a refurbished or even an extreme makeover version of the former life, no, this is a new man made after Christ.

II Cor.5:16-17 - Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: Yes, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we Him no more. Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

When we give our testimony we speak of a dead man that had been pronounced guilty before the Judge of all the Universe who was killed at Golgotha. That old man is dead and received in the crucified Christ the deserved sentence, death. Now when we became believing followers of Jesus we were "born again" as a brand new man, and when Christ came out of the tomb a new "us" resurrected also. Made in His likeness but still retaining a unique and personal identity, the life that we now live in the flesh we live by faith of the Son of God, and in a mystery we still live, but not us, but Christ which lives in us. A life now free in His Spirit, free from the judicial punishment by the Judge of all Living but under the loving correction of our Heavenly Father.

Now the implications of this freedom in the Spirit are pervasive across the board when in comes to the church. No more law, no more Jew or Gentile, no more male or female, and only the specific New Testament teachings are to be observed as commandments from Christ to His Spiritual body. That is why it is confusing when churches continue forms of liturgical worship. Gowns, candles, altars, and other outward forms of worship are actually shadows of the law and the Old Testament tabernacle, but we are to worship in Spirit and in truth completely separate from the dictates of a former system that was to be done away with in Christ.

The promise that God gave to Abraham was actually fulfilled in the "promise of the Spirit" on the Day of Pentecost, and only those born of His Spirit are His people and His church. And there is infinite liberty in Christ that frees the spirit to worship and obey our Lord. And to return to the law is not only putting on old grave clothes, it is self righteous at its core because we still break it. Jesus is to be high and lifted up, the fulfiller of the law, and the Author of a new and better covenant made with better promises.


And all this provides a greater understanding of the basis of our praise and worship which, by the way, soars infinitely beyond our comprehension until we are given our bodies of Spirit and can in person bow before our Risen Lord and offer unto Him all the worship He deserves...forever.
Selah.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Law is what God uses to show us that we must be Holy as God is Holy or we aren't going to be in eternity with Him. It also shows us that we are incapable of doing that. That is why we need a saviour and that is where the Gospel comes in. Thanks Rick.

In Christ

Mike Ratliff

Anonymous said...

Our understanding between law and liberty is always a tough one.

I firmly believe in Justification by faith alone.

Once I put my trust and obedience in Jesus Christ, I was saved. My sins are forgiven past present future.

But I have some questions as I always do on this topic, because I'm still trying to "get it right."

First, I would just like to say, that Mike's Ratliff's blog has been very much of a blessing as this one has for my faith. I'm in the process of starting another blog here next month and I've linked both of your blogs at the top of my list. (JFYI)

Anyways... back to the point.

1. I'm on my break, so I'm not going to quote scripture, so please try to be understanding. TY. :) - Jesus tells us that he has not come to do away with the law. But to fullfill it. To me this whole issue isn't on Justification it's on our sanctification. ( I know I know ) You both have heard this all before hundreds of times. Sorry, again, just trying to get a better grasp on this.

2. Yes, as Mike points out, we are called to be Holy as God is Holy.

3. So, my question is, when we look at the New Testament, what we are looking at is Epistles (letters to the church) and the Gospels (letters written about Jesus)and Acts (a letter written about the early church). All these have instruction, rebuke, exhortation and admonishon. Right? So what we are seeing is the early church failing in the area of repentance and sanctification. So my point is, if this is the case, then that leads me to believe that we need to "know the law" so that we may better understand grace?

4. In the psalms, forgot which one, the real long one that talks a lot about the law of God. 119? Not sure sorry. Anyway, we are exhorted over and over again in this psalm to love Gods law. We are also told in the Epistles that because we have the Spirit of Christ in us, we now love the law and have the heart to want to obey it.

So I believe that yes, when we are born again of the Spirit, we are given the hearts to want to learn Gods law better so that we may better obey it. So that we may be humbled in knowing that no matter how hard we try, we can not obey it perfectly, but that we are leading our lives in trying to walk as straight as possible to be a better witness, to have better relationships, to be more effective in our ministry and so forth.

Anyway, I believe that we should focus on loving our neighbor and loving God and the fruits of the Spirit. But we should also be mindful of where and how we fall and work at those areas also. Well anyway, this seems to be the case for my own personal walk. I have a heart to be kind, loving, forgiving, generous, friendly, un-selfish, meek, humble and so on. I want to love my neighbor and that is a constant thought during my day. I also want to love God. I know that my righteousness is as filthy rags and so I am humbled by that. But at the same time while trying to do all of these things, the way that I'm able to do them effectivly and better is to know how to be loving, kind, humble, meek, generous and so on. In oder to know how, I look at the law. I know that anger is sin, lust is sin, stealing is sin, lieing is sin, coveting is sin and so on. So when I commit these sins, I feel bad, because I was at that time, not loving my neighbor. So I recognize that and I go to God in prayer and ask him to forgive me, to work his grace into my heart and to strenthen me, so I will be able to fight those temtations better in the future.

Anyway..... if you would care to expound on this, It would be most appriciated.

TY.

In his grace,

Dave

Anonymous said...

"Our message has never been national morality, our message is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

"we are dead already to this world and our life is hidden in Christ in the heavenlies. We have already died and this life we now live, although still outwardly resembling the former person, is not a refurbished or even an extreme makeover version of the former life, no, this is a new man made after Christ."

These points (that I quote from Rick) are much needed to be proclaimed in many churches which currently tout only the "love of God" without the reality of man's desperate condition.

More Scripture knowledge, more wisdom of and from God.

Rick Frueh said...

Dave - You are on the correct path. There is no law to every one that believes in Christ, but our journey is one of conforming to Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit within us. In a New Testament reversal, our victory does not come from capturing territory or obeying the law, no, those things are, strangely enough, gained by complete surrender to the Lordship of Jesus the Christ.

Victory through surrender. Wow, only Jesus can accomplish that!!