Sunday, August 07, 2011

Self Righteous Ideologues

I am a pacifist. I do not believe that violence and war promote the cause of Christ, and I do not believe they are divine methods in this age of gospel grace. However, lest I think too highly of myself I must admit openly that I admire and indeed am intrigued by those of human kind who will give their lives for a cause. I grieve for the soldiers who were killed recently in Afghanistan, and I pray for their loved ones.

I also know many Jesus loving men and women who are in the military, and I am aware of some who have come to faith in Christ while on the battlefield. God is so sovereign that He can often accomplish His purposes amidst the compromise of His very people. I am acutely aware that has more often than not been the case in my own life.

I share this short thought to make this point. Although we have convictions, both theological and practical, let us endeavor to humble ourselves as we view the actions of others. That does not mean we abandon our convictions or make our theology accommodate the errors of others, but it does mean we are always presented with this challenge: How do we stand fast in our beliefs without being bellicose, ungracious, and demonstrably unaware of our own shortcomings?
I fear I have often failed to meet that challenge, but I ask God’s Spirit to crucify me so that Christ may more remarkably live through me and be seen and heard by those with whom I come in contact. I abhor pride and self righteousness, especially when it rears its ugly head in my own life. As one name Paul once observed, “In me there dwells no good thing”.


The path of our discipleship should not be littered with our own footprints,

but with only His.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

All I can say to this post is Amen. These thoughts about this subject run through my mind often, but I never could have said it so well.

My son is in the Army, currently in Iraq. Usually when people find out,(I don't make a habit of telling), they'll say something like, "You must be so proud", and I struggle with a response that isn't self-righteous and denegrating to my son, who is also a christian and a great husband and father.

Thank you for your thoughtful posts.

Rick Frueh said...

Thank you for your comment. Even if one believes in necessary war, we must be honest. The wars that the soldiers are fighting today are without purpose and mostly political.

Look at where Bin Laden was living when he was killed. In a room you wouldn't have your children live in and watching a television a pawn shop would not take. The entire spectacle is very sad and speaks to the fallen nature of politics itself.

BTW - 9/11 death toll = 3000
drunk driving deaths per year = approximately 17,000
(many more deaths due to overeating and wrong eating)

Who is the real enemy? Answer = Satan and our own fallen flesh