Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Only a Glimpse

Eph.3:17-19 - That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith that you being rooted and grounded in love may be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height, and to know the love of God which passes knowledge…

I saw a sight that I had a hard time believing. It was a room filled with everything good that had ever been made, and then there were things that no one had ever seen or known. A baby’s first breath was there as well as that baby’s very first steps. The first time that baby hugged his mommy and told his daddy that he loved him was in that room. The emotions of that mommy were there and the pride of a father was there as well. The satisfaction of hunger, the sight of our eyes, the air that we breathe, the water we drink, and the love of a family to each other was in that room.

The laughter and the tears of joy and the comfort in sorrow were there, as well as the strength to labor and receive the rewards of that labor were evident, and the watch care of the parents was in that room. The awe of the heavens and the appreciation of the gift of earth to man was there and the love of birds and dogs and all the animals that came from the creative hand of God. The joy of life and relationships was in that room that was opened unto me.

As I looked across the room I saw a manger placed providentially in the countryside of Judea and with it a star. And in that manger I saw a light growing so much brighter than it had on the other things, much brighter. And coming out from that manger was a figure, a humble and unremarkable figure, but clothed in such brightness that it both blinded and attracted my eyes all at once. As that figure of a man moved it chased the darkness and seemed to leave a path of brightness in his wake. Again I looked and saw a cross, made of wood, and it seemed to be waiting for this figure of sorrows and He approached it with a different kind of joy not known outside that room.

I saw this figure upon this cross, still brilliant and bright, but with a crimson hue shining out from this dying figure. And as this figure bowed His head one last time the light grew even brighter although He did not move. I heard cries at this cross and yet rejoicing in another part of this room. And then I saw the light disappear and go behind a large stone. It became dark for a season and that figure, bruised and beaten, was seen no more. As I kept watching I saw something I shall never forget, I saw that stone completely engulfed in heaven’s light, and it moved away from its resting place and revealed the mouth of a cave.

Out from this cave came that same figure surrounded with the most exquisite and powerful light of glory that I could never have imagined ever existed. He moved out from that cave and spoke to some people and went up out of sight. As the light dissipated I began to see first hundreds, then thousands, then hundreds of thousands, and then I saw multitudes of people bowing down in darkness before the empty cross and tomb, and as they rose the darkness left and they were dressed in robes of the purest light. No longer in darkness and chains, they were now free and living before the throne of God. I moved closer to the door of the room and I asked of the angel,

“What is all this in this room?”

The angel replied, “This is the room of the infinite love of God”.

I could not believe the length and depth and height and breadth of all I had seen from the doorway of the magnificent room containing all the expressions of God's love. I looked at the angel and said with awe,

“I believe today I have seen all of God’s immeasurable love”.

The angel smiled at me and said gently,

“Sir, the door to this room of God’s love has only been slightly cracked open. You have only seen a glimpse".

And as I looked at the door there was written on the front a saying:

I am the door...Jesus.
God is love.

1 comment:

Baptist Girl said...

Hi Rick,
We can not even fathom just how much God loves us. His power, his wisdom,his love, his mercy, and his grace are much too great for any human mind to fully understand. Our forgiveness and the cost He paid for it is the greatest picture of the greatest love of all.

"O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder Consider all the worlds Thy hands have made,I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,Thy power throughout the universe displayed,
Then sings my soul, my Savior God to thee; How great thou art, how great thou art!"

Cristina