Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Covenant Scars

II Sam.9:3 - And the king said, Is there not yet any of the house of Saul, that I may show kindness of God unto him?


The story of Mephibosheth does not begin with King David and his compassionate invitation to this crippled son of Jonathan. As Saul watched David head out toward Goliath in the power of the Lord, he saw David slay that uncircumcised Philistine to the glory of God, and as David cuts off Goliath's head Saul inquires, "whose son is this youth?'.(I Sam.17:55) So Abner took David before Saul with Goliath's head still dripping in his hand and asks, "Whose son art thou?', and David still covered in blood and the anointing of God's Spirit replies, "I am the son of thy servant Jesse, the Bethlehemite". Now not long after David, by the power of God's might, had slain Goliath, Saul had heard people singing "Saul has slain his thousands but David his ten thousands" and envy had risen in his heart. From that moment on Saul sought David's life. But nothing happens by chance and nothing, I mean nothing, happens outside the watchful eyes of the Shepherd of the Universe. We surely don't know fully what will happen but we are commanded to keep our eyes on our Guide, our Shepherd, He has everything in His care and control. Saul is no match for the Heavenly Father and David is well taken care of under His shadow.

As Saul ordered everyone to seek David's (I Sam.19:1) life the Lord stirred up the love He had put in Saul's son, Jonathan, for David. Jonathan went to David and informed him of his father's plot. Oh yes, our allegiance is to God Almighty but sometimes Jesus Himself told us that there comes a sword in the midst of our families. When I came to Jesus, my family had major issues with my conversion. I attempted to be gracious, but my loyalty was totally to my Lord and Savior and not my family who I still loved. Jonathan, moved by God's Spirit, had befriended David and not only told him of the death plan, but Jonathan would watch his father and continue to communicate with David. Jonathan even convinced his father to give up his plan which would be temporary. So when Saul resumed his evil plan, Jonathan called his friend David into a field and it was there that Jonathan made a covenant with David. Now the Hebrew ceremony of covenant involved cutting the right wrist of both men and as they joined their wrists and mingled their blood the covenant was sealed.

Now Jonathan had a son named Mephibosheth who had been dropped by his nurse as she fled during a time of war and he had been made lame. After Jonathan's death David asks his servant if there are any heirs of Jonathan's and his servant informs him of Mephibosheth. David immediately calls for him and as Mephibosheth bows before him David proclaims "he shall eat at my table". The King's table? Lowly Mephibosheth? Why? Maybe the kindness of David and maybe because his heart was after God. But there is a stronger reason. Picture Mephibosheth sitting down at David's side struck with awe and humility, he had never been in David's house much less eating at his table. King David looks deep into Jonathan's eyes and says, "Welcome my son, the son of my friend Jonathan, here, eat and be full from my hand". As David lifts the bowl and extends it to Mephibosheth his right wrist peeks out from his sleeve and there it is, the scar. What scar? The scar that remembers the covenant that was made with Jonathan by blood and an oath. It was this covenant that King David remembered when he called for Jonathan's son. Not just to feed him out the back stoop with the leftovers, oh no, he eats at that King's table. Because David had given his word and his blood and he was eternally in a covenant relationship with Jonathan and his descendants.

I want you to picture a King's table, not an earthly King, but a Royal King of Kings. Now this King has called for the lowly descendants of Adam who had been irrevocably crippled through their father's fall. He calls for them and those that hear His voice come and like Mephibosheth they bow in humility and unworthiness. Why would this King call for us? We are worthless and rebellious dogs who don't even deserve scraps, what does this King want with us? The King, with the voice of many waters, says, "Come and dine at My table!". How can it be? We cannot imagine such unbridled grace, glorious and without earthly reason. To be in His presence is unthinkable, but to dine at His table is past finding out. As we sit as His invited guests an angel loudly proclaims,
"Blessed are they which are called unto the Marriage Supper of the Lamb!".

The King looks at us and says, "Welcome my sons, I have desired to eat this supper with you from before the foundations of the world. And I, the Royal Bridegroom, take you as My Bride - Forever. Eat and be full from My hand." And as King Jesus hands the bowl to us his wrists peek out from the brightest of robes, and all of heaven look in wonder and amazement. The angels, the seraphim, the cherubim, Michael the Archangel, Gabriel the Archangel, and most of all us. You and I now see in person the scars that purchased this very Marriage Supper for us. There they are, our righteousness; our entrance way; our redemption; our only glory! I have a difficult time not thinking that at that moment the entire table will fall to its knees in worship before the Passover Wounds, scarlet and crimson, embedded forever in the Lamb so that forever we will remember that
ALL THE GLORY HAS BEEN, IS NOW, AND ALWAYS WILL BE HIS AND HIS ALONE!!! HALLELUIAH!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David's care of Mephibosheth is so obviously a "type" of our Lord's care of His people. Nice post Rick.

poof said...

Renee,
Alot of the myths and ceremonies of native people probably go way back in origin to Bible times. The Hebrew word for cutting a covenant is 'beriyth', which means 'a contract made by passing between pieces of flesh', and by actually walking through the path of blood(the way of death) they were saying "God do this to me or worse if I break this covenant." You may remember that strange story of the most famous covenant that God made with Abraham in Genesis 15, but there are many instances of covenants in the Bible. Just look them up with a concordance...there is so much to learn about this...I only know a speck of what there is to know.

Rick,
Thank you for reminding me of this story...one of my favourites! Did it ever take me back... to the first real Bible study I ever went to, a Precepts class on Covenant. My miserable life was changed when I understood that the exchange between David and Jonathan symbolized the great exchange Jesus made for us. He took on our flesh so we could put on His robe of righteousness. That concept blew my mind, and that's when the light bulb went on. I was never quite the same again after I understood how I was loved. The realization of my complete unworthiness drove me to my knees... to know that the only reason God can look at me is because He sees that I am wearing the beautiful spotless robe of Jesus that I don't deserve. And in exchange, Jesus is 'wearing' a human body...forever. What a costly exchange! And I cannot wait to see those covenant scars made for this unworthy wretch.