Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Grace

GRACE
 
A certain man had a wife and a young daughter. This man was a drunk and rarely held down a job for too long. His family suffered terribly because he hardly provided for his family. They ended up living in a rat infested cellar in Chicago. One day his little girl became seriously ill, and a kind doctor came to that cellar to examine that little girl. Seeing that this child was in grave condition, the doctor reached into his pocket and pulled out some money and told that man to run, not walk, to the drug store and purchase this prescription.

The man left the cellar and as he approached the drug store he saw a saloon. And instead of buying the drugs his daughter needed he went into that saloon like he had so many other times and got drunk. It wasn’t long until his daughter was dead. And some people helped to lay her out for a viewing in the cellar. Some loving person bought her some new clothes and shoes in which to be buried.

The man returned home after being away as he had in the past, and no one saw him come in. But he noticed his daughter’s corpse and saw she was wearing new clothes and shoes. He quietly slipped off those shoes from his dead daughter’s feet and went and sold them in order to buy more alcohol. That man ended up living on the street, a hopeless drunk.

But one day that same man was passing the Pacific Garden Mission in Chicago and went in to find some warmth. There he heard a gospel preacher tell of God’s grace through Jesus Christ and that man was gloriously saved. And he eventually was trained and became an evangelist and was used of God to lead many to Jesus Christ.

How could God save such a man, you ask? Oh my dear brother and sister, we ought to be questioning how God could save someone like you and me. Do not attempt to measure the grace of God by the weight of sin. The vilest among us is a candidate for God’s redemption. One simple but genuine act of faith can save the Charles Manson’s among us. God’s redemption reached Jeffrey Dahmer and Susan Atkins and David Berkowitz and even me. Oh how we measure that which is without measure.

Do you not think God would offer His salvation to the monster who held those three girls captive? Would God withhold His offer from Timothy McVeigh? Would Christ die for the young man who murdered all those children? Did Jesus die for Osama Bin Laden? Does that repulse you? Does it surprise you? Please understand how vile you were and what God’s grace meant to your own soul.

And what was the man’s name whose story I told?

His name was Mel Trotter and you can read his own words HERE.

The word grace has been bandied about and defined in cold theological terms, but God’s grace goes beyond anything we can imagine here on earth. In order to fully understand the grace of God we must fully understand the holiness of God. But we as men have some idea of love and some idea of justice and some idea of mercy, but we have absolutely no idea about holiness. Since we have no holiness of our own we are clueless. Religion has said that holiness is what we do not do. Or religion calls some pompous man “Your Holiness”. But in reality we do not know nor can we know what holiness is. Holiness is the essence of God who is a spirit. And we do not even know what a spirit is.

So here we are partakers of God’s grace struggling to find some acceptable definition that can be shown on some overhead projector or in sermon notes. But find the most repulsive and vile sin, and watch as a sinner practices and even relishes in that sin, and then watch God receive that sinner and make him His child. Perhaps then we can understand what we do not understand...God’s grace.

Where sin abounds, grace does much moiré abound.

5 comments:

Cherie c. said...

Laugh at me if you like, and this comment may not have anything to do with this post. I just need to say it.

Again, think me strange, but did you every read the Word and cry like it was some sad love story? It is a sad love story.

As I am reading Luke 8 I am overwhelmed with sobbing and I don't know why. Or perhaps I do, but just don't understand it. It hit me when I read the part about the synagogue ruler whose daughter died and Jesus brought back to life. I found myself tell Jesus that my sons were dead too and to please raise them like he did this girl. And I am filled with tears and it is hard to stop. I do not want money, or power or furs or jewelry or anything like that, all I want is to see my sons repent and come to Jesus. It is often on my mind. I pray that even the abortion doctor that was convicted repent and receive Jesus.

Grace and Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God be with you my dear brothers and sisters in Jesus.

Jackie's surgery is Friday. Please keep her before the Lord.

Love to you all.

your sister in Christ Jesus
Cherie c.

Anonymous said...

Too much grace and too little cross - are the two separate or intertwined?
***
We hear and read a great deal today about excusal and forgiveness and far too little about spiritual responsibility, duty and devotion beyond the self.
***
Embracing the cross is not politically correct. Neither is it possible in a hedonistic culture that is addicted to me, mine, and the nature of man.
***
The cross is selfless painful devotion to Christ and the frame upon which a truly spiritual life may grow. The blood is for God and the cross is for man yet few there are who embrace it.
and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

Anonymous said...

Yes, Yes, and Yes!!

Amen, Amen, and Amen!!

There are prisoners on death row waiting to be executed. They can receive God's grace and forgiveness right now. There are people who are (in our minds hopeless) to ever be willing to accept God's grace their minds filled with rebellion, bitterness and murder in their heart. Some of us have parents who abused us, destroyed us, and men who've stripped us of all we have. Then there are those who became entangled with the world, which prisons the mind further and further and then emprisons the soul, making the person think he is forever unworthy to be saved. But Jesus!! He goes way beyond all that!!


There are a lot of souls out there who make it very difficult for us to love them, despite their actions or attitudes. But one time, I was a soul who was no doubt difficult to love. But, who hasn't heard the stories of praying grandmothers who prayed all their lives for hopeless situations in the children's lives and never stopped believing, and the grace of God finally met their relative's soul. In church prayers services, saints fervently pray for the world and those who are lost. I know those prayers reach strangers every day, thank you Jesus.

Another event lately in the news we hear, about a politician who left his family for a mistress and shamed his constituents. Many christians have forgiven him, as he too claims he is a christian who sought God's forgiveness for his actions. Everyone has that chance, praise God. All I'll say, though, is that whoever really wants God's forgiveness, are going to be so grateful, and humbled enough to go out and seek others who need his forgiveness. All they want is to glorify the Lord and share his tremendous love to others.

Sometimes people are just happy to say, "oops" I sinned, and accept God's forgiveness, and demand they have the same arrangements and entitlements and highly-esteemed jobs they held before the sin. There's a fine line of using God's forgiveness to keep oneself in a worldly position that demand ethics and trust, to truly being humbled and to go and sin no more. I believe that true repentence comes with putting God first in all things and remembering that if we publicly confess our sins, that we have a huge responsibility to publicly give God all the glory, and we have a huge responsibility to put ourselves in a position never to have to shame our loving God again publicly. It would be better for a public figure to step back and live a life out of the public eye, worthy of God's grace.

And my last thought, I thank the Lord Jesus for forgiving me and saving me and holding me close to Him and His love for me just saturates me enough that when I see those who've been brainwashed by all sorts of fakery and manipulators, I have to feel that sense of grief over the sin, yet love for that abused soul. And one more thing I have on my heart. Our worldly culture that we live in CONTRIBUTES to the sickness and mental breakdowns of people. Yet the Church ignores them. The Church is too busy trying to "change" the culture by partly embracing it", while hopeless sinners feel more and more distant from the proud, the free and the strong. And the embittered who hate our society hate the hypocrisy of the Church too. So when some go ballistic and then are arrested and must serve life in prison, the Church still ignores them, but discusses their behavior on lives on cable talk shows, as though they beyond Christ's redeeming love. The Church is no longer effective in bringing Christ to the culture. It just brings accusations, and damnations and judgment and pointing the finger, it blames, it shakes it's head at sinners, it provokes, it bullies, it beats those who dare to speak out, it soils the good Name of Jesus.

Yet, with what the topic is about here, God can, in His good timing, reach into the Church to correct it. Even though there is little time.

J.

Anonymous said...

We may not understand God’s grace, but when we receive that grace, our sins are forever covered by the blood of Jesus, what emotion, what thought, what words can we use to explain that most wonderful gift. I am simply dumbfounded that God would forgive me for the sins I have committed against Him. Yes, I have read where God said that when He forgives He places those sins in the deepest part of the sea, never to be thought of or remembered. This is another song from my childhood that came to mind while reading Rick’s sermon.

Marvelous grace of our loving Lord,
Grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt!
Yonder on Calvary’s mount outpoured,
There where the blood of the Lamb was spilled.

Refrain
Grace, grace, God’s grace,
Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
Grace, grace, God’s grace,
Grace that is greater than all our sin.

Sin and despair, like the sea waves cold,
Threaten the soul with infinite loss;
Grace that is greater, yes, grace untold,
Points to the refuge, the mighty cross.

Refrain
Grace, grace, God’s grace,
Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
Grace, grace, God’s grace,
Grace that is greater than all our sin.

Dark is the stain that we cannot hide.
What can avail to wash it away?
Look! There is flowing a crimson tide,
Brighter than snow you may be today.

Refrain
Grace, grace, God’s grace,
Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
Grace, grace, God’s grace,
Grace that is greater than all our sin.

Marvelous, infinite, matchless grace,
Freely bestowed on all who believe!
You that are longing to see His face,
Will you this moment His grace receive?

Refrain
Grace, grace, God’s grace,
Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
Grace, grace, God’s grace,
Grace that is greater than all our sin.

Joel

P.S. Jackie, you are in my prayers.

Cherie c. said...

Joel,

How lovely is that song. Now I know where all the water I drink goes to lately. To replenish what flows out of my eyes. I cry when I pray, I cry when I Praise, I cry when I sing. I cry when I am sad, I cry when I am full of joy.

I am going to look up this song on Youtube so I can learn it and hear it. Thank you Joel, sweet brother in the Lord.

your sister in Christ Jesus,
Cherie c.