Monday, January 09, 2012

Tim Tebow

I am a rabid Notre Dame fan. Don’t ask me why except that I am 50% Irish (and 50% German - Frueh). But I admire a college team with 9000 enrollees who can compete with ones who have 70,000 students. I admire their standards as well.
I do not believe God is interested in football at all, or any sports for that matter. But I cannot help but pull for this kid named Tim Tebow. The fact that his parents are overseas missionaries drew me at first, and I like the fact that he gave glory for his life to his “Lord and Savior Jesus Christ”. I know, that kind of language is often self serving and makes a cameo appearance at sports events, music award show, and academy award extravaganzas. And it is difficult to rejoice in such things when the person saying them is on their 4th wife and is now living with a girl 30 years his younger. Oh well.
But this kid Tebow seems to be the genuine article. Is he perfect? Let’s be real. But he seems to say the right things, and the people who know him best say he is what you see. He has a great platform to speak the name of Jesus, and his remarkable achievements this year have elevated him into the national discourse. Some mock him, and some doubt, and some even hate him because of his faith in Christ. But almost everyone knows the situation.
I root for him, not just in football, but I pray for his faithfulness in his witness. A young kid with money and the pressure of today’s world, to say nothing of testosterone coursing through his body, is confronted with many temptations. But up until now Tebow has been a very good witness for Jesus Christ. We need more like him to whom we can point and tell our children, “There is a godly young man!”
Let us pray for him and that God will be glorified in all of this.
(BTW - I grew up a Cowboy fan!)

4 comments:

Cal said...

The danger is being highjacked by culture warriors who're waxing about Tebow being a return to good role-model sports figures. And with a book out, I just hope he doesn't become a cast member down there at the 700 club.

It was good when he said that 'football is just a game', I just wish he'd think about the whole 'Tebowing' thing. Do not pray as the hypocrites who stand up wanting to be seen by men!

Good to see him and the Broncos take out Pittsburgh!

Always Learning said...

My son spent 35 minutes several months ago on a shuttle ride to the airport with his mother and said she was amazing. She talked about how the doctors wanted her to abort Tim. When she first sat next to my son, he didn't know who she was and asked all about my son's life. Steven had to probe her about where she was going etc. before she finally revealed who she was.

Cherie said...

I know this is old, but your kidding right?

I know, be prepared to get blasted.

Cherie said...

No, I don't hate Tim Tebow. I had great hope too. I do think we should pray for him. What he says he is and what his behavior says he is are two different stories.

As of this date, 12/3/2012 he has gone the way of most celebrity Christians, to the other side.